Thursday, August 22, 2013

Taking care of (baby) business...

If there is one thing I enjoy, it is wasting hours of time making things for my baby. I'm not even being sarcastic. I like making purposeful things, and I like my baby, so why not combine the two?

As I wrote in my last post, I've become somewhat obsessed recently with babywearing. I can happily say I am enjoying a new ring sling I made this week. It is linen, so it is comfy, breathable and strong. It is currently in a somewhat drab ecru-colored state, but I plan to change that in the near future. I ordered the rings as part of a sampler set, so I didn't have the liberty of choosing my own colors. I was hoping for something less effeminate than purple, but it could have been worse -- pink was a possible color choice. Strangely, I have been holding onto a purple zipper for years without having any plans for it. It goes perfectly with the purple rings and thread. At hubbs's recommendation, I'll probably do some sort of grey blue overall dye. Perhaps I'll even try my hand at a simple batik. Stars, maybe? Either way, it is extremely useful already, even if it is a little boring.

Purple and ecru
Hands free and happy.
In addition to the awesome ring sling, I FINALLY made the kid a nursing necklace. I am, once again, trying to grow out my hair. The timing of this is pretty terrible because my little turtle is at that important developmental phase of needing to physically manipulate everything, which frequently translates to my hair being pulled. If I didn't give him something else to play with and grab, quickly, I would have chopped off my hair, again.

After seeing a few for sale online, I decided I could easily make my own. It took a total of half an hour to make, with the kid climbing all over me in an attempt to play with it before it was done. That seems to me like a positive reaction from the #1 critic, if you ask me. :)

It started as a bracelet I haven't worn in years and a pretty fabric.



Voila! I can make it longer or shorter based on how I tie it.


Now that these two creative tasks are complete, it's time for some fall cleaning. We are officially signing the additional year lease addendum on Monday, after a house walk-through by our property manager. Prior to this house, the longest hubbs and I ever lived at one address was ten months. September 9th will officially make 18 months here, and we're about to add another year to that. Even with its flaws, and it being a rental, and it being so far from friends and family, I have to say it is amazing having a place that feels like home enough to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment