Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Creation vs. Obsession

Before my son was born, I had an idea. I decided, I was going to make as much of his "stuff" as possible. I don't mean his crib or car seat or anything like that. I mean, fabric stuff. Some of it I have shown on here before. Some, I have not.

It started with a gender neutral palette of aqua and yellow. I bought hundreds of dollars work of fabric and yarn. I made receiving blankets, muslin swaddles, minky play blankets, a quilt, sheets, nursing pads, burp cloths... With a full-time job, a lack of an official crafting or sewing space, and an idea that verged on obsession, it was a daunting amount of work. There are two things that I didn't finish before the birth: a crib skirt and a bumper. I got most of the work done on the bumper, but not quite enough. After the baby was born, those two items went on the back burner. I figured, I wasn't using the crib yet, anyway, since we planned on cosleeping for at least the first six months until he could sleep through the night without waking to nurse. I'm lazy, and I wanted the extra bonding, especially after my 8 days without him when I was in the hospital.

About two weeks ago, I "finished" the bumper. What I mean is I rushed and did a mediocre job and it is somewhat useless, but it is up and tied in place. I am not redoing it. After he grows into his own room, I had dreams of repurposing the bumper as window valances. I still may do that. I may not. I still may make a crib skirt, but it is doubtful.

You see, I have moved onto new and exciting things! I've found myself sucked into the crazy world of babywearing moms. It started with putting Dylan into a cheap soft structured carrier while I tried to clean the house weeks after he was born.
The carrier was not very comfortable.

I then bought a Moby wrap. That was better, but I couldn't seem to get him into it correctly for support. He would lean back really far, like it was loose, but his feet would turn purple like it was too tight. (It turns out it was way too loose and compensated. We've since fixed that issue.)
 
An example showing it is too loose!
 
Then we went on a vacation and forgot his carriers and stroller, so I bought another SSC for $11 on clearance at Target. I used that one at Sea World. It is not the best, but it was invaluable at the time.


Terribly unsupportive of legs. Now I know better.
 
I found Dylan started struggling more with carriers, though, around 4 months. I went online, did lots of research, joined some online communities, and went to a babywearing meeting locally. I decided I needed a Mei Tai style carrier for better support. I bought one for $28, and wore it out of the store (no pictures yet, but I'm sure there will be!). I use it for grocery shopping or if I need to put Dylan to sleep but don't feel like dealing with the Moby. I use it to sweep and mop. I can do a back carry in it, which will be important as he gets bigger and heavier, and also gives me more physical mobility to clean or craft, but have yet to actually do a back carry.

Then, one day, without ever trying a woven wrap, I decided to make one. I made it, tried it once, got confused and frustrated, Dylan wouldn't cooperate, and I put it away until the next babywearing meeting. A little on the stiff side still, "put away" means it gets sat on in the rocking chair to break it in a bit. It is a five yard long, linen-like slubby cotton, unbleached and undyed -- the best kind of seat cushion, right?

Then, I decided to use other fabric I owned to make a "shortie" wrap that could be tied on one shoulder to carry Dylan like a sling. I used that thing every single day since, but yesterday it started to dig into Dylan's leg behind his knee and cut off circulation. It wasn't appropriate fabric to begin with, so it has been retired. Then, last Saturday, I broke down and bought 3 yards of midweight linen and a sampler of rings to use on a DIY ring sling, a sling that is adjustable and amazing for quick trips or for babies that want up and down. Then, I found patterns for homemade Mei Tais, and tutorials for "tablecloth" wraps and slings, and instructions for dyeing fabric, and instructions for weaving wraps...

It has officially become an obsession. Do I need even a quarter of this? No. Am I enjoying learning about everything and becoming an "expert" without even having experience? Certainly. Is it all a bit of trial and error? You bet. Am I going to spend more money on things I don't use than things I do? Of course.

All I can say is everyone needs a hobby, especially a newly stay-at-home mom, and what better hobby than one where you create things to help parents and babies bond and be happy? And if you have a baby, young toddler, or are expecting, there is a good chance you'll receive one of my DIY creations. I won't be offended if you give it away or hide it, just do me a favor and try it at least once first.

I have a feeling I'll be on this kick for at least another few months, so be prepared to learn more about it all, and for more photos of fabric and tied-up almost not visible Dylan than you'd probably prefer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment