Thursday, January 16, 2014

Happy New Year!

A new year is here. I'm not one for resolutions, but I am one for self-betterment, and I am one for checking things off to-do lists (as if you couldn't tell, already). I will always add more things to my to-do list than I check off, too. Why not add some fun stuff to my to-do list in celebration of the year ahead?

This year, I've decided I need a workspace for artsy craftsy stuff. I currently do sewing on my coffee table, have my computer on a tv tray, and have fabric and yarn in three different rooms. I plan to change that as quickly as possible!

After breaking my phone, I have also come to the conclusion that I need to refill my planner, and use it. With doctors appointments, family events, husband's vacation days, etc., I need something to keep life in some sense of order. After scouring the internet, I've decided I dislike all planners and refills for sale, everywhere, so I have been making my own. As I have time. I may not have a useable planner until February or March, but I can say I have made some serious progress on this one, at least. And by making it myself, I know it will actually be useful for what I need to use it for.

Next, I am not someone who enjoys exercise. I enjoy hiking, or swimming, or going for a walk, but usually at a leisurely pace. I didn't take P.E. in junior high. Instead of P.E. in high school, I took ballet classes, which were an amazing workout, but didn't do much for endurance. After more than a decade of inconsistent exercise, a thyroid disorder, horribly imbalanced hormones, and a GREAT love for food, I finished 2013 in just about the worst shape of my life. That is definitely not a way to set an example for a growing child, and it also makes it harder to chase after said child, so I have been working on fixing this. As of today, I have officially jogged the longest time in my life: 20 continuous minutes! That may not seem like much, but it is a huge deal for me because just two months ago I couldn't jog for two minutes without having to catch my breath. So, to help keep me motivated, I am running my first 5k in two months. I never thought I'd be as excited for this as I am, but I really am extremely excited. And proud of myself. Seriously.

The last big thing on my to-do list is the most exciting, by far: prepping for my son's first birthday!! I don't just mean throwing a birthday party (although that is a fun part of it), I mean wrapping up his first year of life. I have photos to print, I have baby clothes to put away, I have to get us set up for our first family portraits, and I have to fully come to terms with the fact that my baby is not going to be a baby much longer! It is a very exciting, but emotional time. Luckily, I'm reminded of just how big he's getting, everyday. He walks around the house, king of the world, making his independence, strength, and intelligence known at every moment.

I am really excited for all this year has ahead of us! Now I just need to work on getting some sleep so I can get some of these things, as well as countless others, done. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment